Planning & Zoning
In 1959, the leaders of the township recognized the need to plan for the future and guide the growth - consequently establishing the Union Township Planning Department to carry out that charge in the years to come. The Planning Department's primary function is to plan for future growth and development by participating in the development and implementation of short and long-range planning documents. Additionally, the department also administers the Zoning Resolution and issues hundreds of residential and commercial permits every year. Department Staff also work to enforce the zoning code by issuing violations to properties in non-compliance. Finally, the Planning Department actively works to forge economic development partnerships with other state, county, and local agencies with the goal of bringing new commercial and industrial development to Union Township. Economic development can lead to new employment opportunities and helps to foster a dynamic local and regional economy. By effectively balancing and managing planning, zoning, and economic development activities, the Planning Department strives every day to ensure that Union Township remains a great place to live, work, and play.
Our mission at the Union Township Planning Department is to effectively balance and manage Planning, Zoning, and Economic Development activities to ensure that Union Township remains a great place to live, work, and play.
Current Zoning Cases
- How can I check the zoning of my property?
- When do I need a zoning permit?
- What do I need to obtain a zoning permit?
- How can I file a zoning complaint?
- Do I need a permit to replace my fence if it’s the exact same type of fence and is in the same exact location?
- What do I do if I want to start or expand a business in Union Township?
- What are the rules regarding swimming pools?
- My neighbor has a tree or tree limb that is in poor condition and I would like to have it removed, can the Township require it to be taken down?