Union Township, Clarence E. Combs, Mt. Moriah Cemetery
“ To operate and maintain an historic burial ground in a park-like setting, with a commitment to preserve and honor the heritage of past generations, to service and respect the needs of the present generation, and to provide a legacy for future generations”.
The Clarence E. Combs, Mt.Moriah Cemetery is owned and operated by the Union Township Board of Trustees, Clermont County, Ohio. It is situated on land purchased in 1800 by Withamsville founder, Maurice P. Witham. Mt. Moriah Cemetery was originally affiliated with the Methodist Protestant Church of Tobasco (1835), presently Mt. Moriah United Methodist Church. The "Old Section" of the cemetery is located behind the white chapel built in 1842. In front of the chapel "The Black Line" ran on the original Ohio Pike. Presently Mt. Moriah Cemetery includes over fifty acres of rolling hills. The entrance to the cemetery is enhanced with an ornate iron fence, originally installed in 1880. Mt. Moriah Cemetery is graced with large shade and evergreen trees, sparkling pond, lovely gazebos, chapel, cremation scattering garden and restful meditation area.
Interred at Mt. Moriah Cemetery are some prominent pioneers and citizens dating back to the early 1800s. The Honorable, Dr. William Doan (1792-1847) was an eminent physician. He was also a Representative and Senator in the Ohio Legislature, and a member of Congress from 1839 to 1843. Politician, Charles Cyrus Kearns (1869-1931) was a Republican and U.S. Representative from Ohio 6th District (1915-1931). Dr. Elisha Bennett(1809-1881) was one of the oldest practitioners of this county. In 1851 he was elected a Representative from Clermont County to the 50th General Assembly of Ohio by the Democratic Party. Also interred at Mt. Moriah Cemetery is the Witham family, and Indian fighter, Richard Stockton (1739-1810). Richard Stockton's grave is the oldest marked grave in the cemetery
The Clarence E. Combs, Mt. Moriah Cemetery has been carefully maintained to ensure the beauty and serenity for future generations.
CLARENCE E. COMBS
"Clarence E. Combs" was added to the title of the cemetery in 1998. Clarence E. Combs (1916-1999) was a dedicated employee, then Sexton of the cemetery for approximately 50 years. He is interred at Mt. Moriah Cemetery.
A momentous occasion for Mt. Moriah Cemetery was accreditation by the American Public Works Association on July 29, 2011. As a division of the Service Department, the cemetery performed a self-assessment of fourteen practices. Some of these practices were interment, disinterment, lot numbering, section renovation, security, and foundation installation. Policies and practices were reviewed that govern the cemetery. The APWA accreditation team awarded Mt. Moriah Cemetery full compliance for all fourteen of their practices.
Located beyond the ornate black and white cast iron fence of Mt. Moriah Cemetery is the Mt. Moriah Cemetery chapel, which was originally built in the 1970s. The red brick chapel is surrounded by tall evergreen trees and beautiful red “knockout roses”. Annual flowers of pink petunias, red geraniums and yellow marigolds grace the front landscape areas. The flagpole continually waves the American and Ohio State flags. Adjacent to the flagpole is a veterans’ memorial which reads, “1941-1945 In Memory of these men who gave their lives for freedom in World War II, Alvin Earl Beard, James C. Butts, William A. Rolke, Loren Hoderlein, Merle Pattison, Albert Wienner.” The interior of the chapel has been renovated to create a serene and reflective environment. The walls are painted pale blue and bordered at the top with white trim. New blue carpet has been installed to complement the pale blue walls. A special addition to the chapel has been the installation of eight pews. The dark wood of the pews is enhanced with new dark blue upholstery. The sanctuary contains a podium for services. Tall silk trees in silver containers and framed photographs of the cemetery complete the meditative environment. Families are welcome to use the chapel at any time during the year for funeral services. It is non-denominational and free of charge. The chapel is especially convenient when there is undesirable weather, and families would like to gather inside. It accommodates approximately 35 people. The chapel is a wonderful addition to Mt. Moriah Cemetery.
Located in Mt. Moriah Cemetery are three beautiful gazebos for families to enjoy. Surrounded by red, “knockout” roses, and enhanced with hanging flower baskets during the summer, the gazebos are perfect places where people can relax and meditate. A large, spacious gazebo is located on the east side of the cemetery by the pond, while two beautiful white gazebos are located on the west and north sides of the cemetery. Families are welcome to use the gazebos for funeral services at no charge. For further information contact the cemetery office at 752-1773.
CREMATION SCATTERING GARDEN
The Mt. Moriah Cemetery Cremation Scattering Garden offers families another alternative for memorializing cremation. The Cremation Scattering Garden is located on the east side of the cemetery, adjacent to the pond. The garden can be reached by following the winding walkway through the graceful gazebo. The walkway continues around the perimeter of the garden. The Cremation Scattering Garden is enhanced with beautiful, red rose bushes interlaced with green perennials. Over 850 spring daffodils and tulips are planted throughout the garden.
The Open Book, a gray granite memorial, is etched at the top "In Loving Memory Of." Individual bronze name bars with birth and death years are placed on the memorial. The Mt. Moriah Cemetery Cremation Scattering Garden will be carefully maintained to ensure the beauty and serenity for future generations.
The price of $500.00 includes the scattering with name and date plaque. For further information concerning the Mt. Moriah Cemetery Cremation Scattering Garden, please call the cemetery office at (513) 752-1773
HERITAGE MEMORIAL GROVE
A truly unique park, Heritage Memorial Grove, is located on the south perimeter of the cemetery bordering Mt. Moriah Drive. The land for the park includes a previously owed tract of land by the township, and a generous donation of land by Mr. Stanley E. Wilfert. The total area for the park is approximately 2.27 acres. The area is carved partially from a grove of oak and maple trees, with the majority of the grounds left in its natural state. The main entrance is located on the west side of the park, off of an access roadway leading from Mt. Moriah Drive into the cemetery. Off of this roadway, parking spaces are available for those visiting the park. The large main entrance of the park leads to an “Outdoor Wedding Cathedral”, which includes a circular area that provides for elevated seating and a majestic, granite altar. This cathedral is incorporated into the natural setting which is spectacular for outdoor weddings. Winding through the woods are lighted concrete trails which are handicap accessible. The trails lead past stately monuments. Granite benches are placed throughout the woods for visitors to rest and reflect. In addition there are restrooms and drinking fountains which are also handicap accessible. Park visitors can seek solitude to meditate and remember their loved ones, family and friends, or simply enjoy the rustic, tree lined environment. The park is available for use by the community for services, weddings and funerals. For additional information please call the cemetery office at (513) 752-1773.